If you reset your Microsoft Surface Pro 4 to factory defaults for whatever reasons you might end up like me: In an endless boot loop or the reset process being stuck at 7% (or, if you choose to erase everything, at 31%), this solution worked for me:
- Download the recovery image for your device and create an USB stick like described
- Use it to boot your surface (press volume down, hold it, than power on)
- Maybe the official way described here works for your. For me, it didn’t.
- Instead i used “Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.”. Start “diskpart”, enter “select disk system” and nuke your system drive with a “clean”
- After that, you can reset and restore your device via the disk method which works for me at the point of writing
I needed to reset my Surface because i bound it to the wrong account. Happens. But i wonder how an average user would react to such a bad first experience. Even i was totally disappointed, which is sad, because the hardware really feels fabulous and the promise to run pretty much anything on this thing is great.